Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Trouble with Facebook

Facebook is addictive. It makes me feel like there is information I need to know and if I don't check on it now, it will overwhelm my newsfeed and I'll be scrolling for hours just to catch up.

I must admit, this is not the life I had envisioned for myself. I don't know if I would have even imagined myself as one to want to read for pleasure. Or to scour the local newspaper from very front to almost very back (including obituaries...I figure I know so many people, there might be someone related to someone that I'd know...mostly not, so far).

I have discovered that I am a news junkie. Local news, odd news, world news, web news, tech news, friend news, etc. It is just too much information for my brain. I don't know why I'm so hungry for information and news, but I am. I do believe, it is a grand waste of time. What can I possibly do with all this news? I will likely forget much of it, I will share tidbits in conversation, I may learn from it.

Now, the trouble I have with Facebook is, the plethora of "9 Ways to Live Your Life to the Fullest" and the "5 Ways to Incorporate These Health Tips into Your Day" and the "8 Things You Must do to Make Family Life Fulfilling" and so on and so on...  Any mathematicians out there? I'm pretty sure I have about 16,000 things a day that I've been suggested or supposed or challenged to do! That seems like way too much for me. I enjoy those articles, I do find them challenging for the moment, but then nap time comes and goes, and do I even recall those tidbits? Those fascinating tips? What's an overloaded brain to do?

I guess that's one reason why The Bible and Bible study in general gets to be rather repetitive after reading/following for nearly 30 years (this year it will be!). Its because humans are forgetful! We need basic principles to live by, and then we need to be reminded of some aspect of them daily, weekly, to actually live them out practically!

Not to mention the absolute mystery of the Living Word of God which teaches us NEW things, from a very well read and previously studied passage. It is truly amazing and captivating. And because it draws me closer to God, and sets my feet back on the narrow path to which I love and am committed, it also feeds me and inspires me to keep going. One foot in front of the other, one day at a time, moment by moment.


No comments: